Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan - by Lisa See



I'm back to the blog! (Hopefully!!)

I just finished this book, which was given to me as a Christmas present by my mother. At first, it was presented as a book about foot binding. However, that turned out only to be part of the story. This book is about women's lives in nineteenth century China, and I think all of you historical fiction fans will enjoy it. There are two women at its center, and it details the roles of women and men at this time. The footbinding part was a little difficult to get through, but it's only a few pages near the beginning, so stick it out.

Man did this book make me thankful that life is not like that for women anymore. I don't have to break my feet in order to shrink them to merely a few centimeters or stay in one room sewing all day. ANd my worth is not measured by how many sons I give birth to. Phew.

I say 4 bookmarks on this one!

Can't seem to make this put the image in for some reason...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home