Saturday, October 08, 2005

You Shall Know Our Velocity! - Dave Eggers

I was a HUGE Eggers fan after reading Hearbreaking Work of Staggering Genius. One of my favorites. When talk of his second book came about, I was thrilled to say the least. But when it first came out it didn't do that well...I think he is one of those indie writers who critics like to hate, and he distributed it in kind of a pompous way, not giving it to any big booktores like Barnes and Noble, so you could only get it at small bookstores in like Brooklyn and Manhattan. (I could be wrong in my memory, but it is something like that) So the hype kind of died when it didn't sell very well, but I found it at a Barnes and Noble months later (I guess he gave in to the man) and thought I should buy it.

I loved it. I read the paperback version, which has a key element not included in the hardback. You'll see if you read it. I had no idea this difference, but when I found out he did it, I thanked goodness that I had bought the paperback. Has anyone read it? I'd love to hear thoughts about it.

It tells the story of a young guy who has come into a lot of money and travels with his friend to get rid of it by going to countries that he feels need money and giving it away. Sounds strange, and it is...you kind of feel for the gesture this guy is trying to make. It is written from the perspective of the guy, but in the first page we find out that this guy has died - as kind of a preface - so we know as we read that he won't make it to the end. You know, the details are fuzzy in my memory so I won't try to summarize, but I will definitely recommend it as I was just amazed at how the book progresses. You'll see if you read it. It is quite different from his first book, which was interesting. I expected something different but was pleasantly surprised.

4.5 bookmarks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home