Monday, September 12, 2005

Shopgirl - Steve Martin


This was a great read...short and simple and addictive almost. I really connected with Mirabelle - Steve Martin was so good at writing a sharp, witty storyline and describing her thoughts regarding both the boredom and hopes in her life.

I think it was Leah who was saying she has a hard time with male authors writing from the female perspective? Well I think he pulls it off really well here. I'd be curious to see if this is just my opinion or if others agree. I think Steve Martin just nails it. He tells the story of Mirabelle who works as a shopgirl serving the glamorous at Saks (or one of the other upscale dept. stores) in Beverly Hills but leads a seemingly uneventful, simple life. The story begins as one of her customers makes a move on her and they both learn a lot about what they want in life.

I recommend everyone to read this. Especially since it is becoming a movie soon, right?

My verdict - 3.5 bookmarks. Very close to 4.

1 Comments:

At 10:30 PM, September 13, 2005, Blogger Lynzee said...

I read this book, but it's been a couple of years. I don't really remember the specific details that you're mentioning...but I do remember being impressed the Steve Martin wrote a decent book. I wish I could recall more, but I'd have to go back and check.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home